IT'S NATIONAL TEQUILA DAY
Our favourite tipple on the planet has to be a Margarita. Nothing screams 'decadent good time' than the offer of one, so when we heard the 20th of March 2021 has been designated National Tequila Day in the UK we couldn't help share it with you.
Tequila was created in the 1600's when the first tequila licence was issued by the king of Spain. The spirit can only be called Tequila if its manufactured in Jalisco, Mexico and its distinct taste is made from the juice of the blue agave.
Here's some of our favourite rituals and recipes we like to enjoy on a Green Team get together. Our one tip is you can never have enough limes!
To join in all you'll need is a shaker, a strainer, a sieve and an authentic Mexican glass from W.A.Green!
Classic Margarita Recipe
With tequila, triple sec and fresh lime it's tart, zingy and satisfying.
- 1 part Tequila
- ½ part triple sec liqueur
- ½ part lime juice
- 1 lime wedge
- Cubed ice
How to mix
- Chill your glass (the easiest way is to fill it with ice)
- Put lots of ice and all of the ingredients into a shaker, then shake hard for about 30 seconds to chill the liquid really well
- Run a lime wedge around the outside of the rim of your glass before rolling the rim in salt
- Double strain the mix into the glass
Tequila pina del oro
Refreshingly light for an evening sundowner
- 50ml reposado tequila
- 60ml pineapple juice
- 15ml lime juice
- 3 drops Peychaud’s bitters
- 1/2 pack fresh sage
- 500g white caster sugar
How to mix
Start by making the sage syrup
- Pour 500ml boiling water on the bunch of sage leaves in a bowl and let sit for 5 mins
- Remove the sage, then add sugar to the infused water and stir until the sugar dissolves
- Leave to cool completely
To make the cocktail
- Add 15ml of the sage syrup in to a cocktail shaker along with a handful of ice and all the other ingredients
- Shake together and serve straight up in a glass, garnished with a sage leaf
The classic. The mix of colours can only make you think of the beach.
- 2 tsp grenadine
- 50ml tequila
- 1 tbsp triple sec
- 1 large orange, or 2 small ones, juiced
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 1 cocktail cherry
How to mix
- Pour the grenadine into the base of a tall glass and set aside
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice and add the tequila, triple sec and fruit juices
- Shake until the outside of the shaker feels cold
- Add a few ice cubes to the serving glass then carefully double strain the cocktail into it, trying not to disturb the grenadine layer too much
- Add more ice if needed to fill the glass then garnish with a cherry on a stick or cocktail umbrella.
The real way to drink tequila. Lime, salt and a great night out.
When drinking it neat, this is the traditional toast. Taught to us by a Columbian (but we'll skip over that part)!
Arriba Literally translates to "up". Touch the necks of your shot glasses
Abajo Literally translates to "down". Touch the bottom of your shot glasses
Al centro Literally translates to "center". Touch the center of your shot glasses bottles. (You general rub them up and down just a tad too).
Adentro Literally translates to "inside". Drink immediately, bottoms up!
If you want to find out more about this complex spirit, then head here for a guide to the 15 best tequilas to try.