WORKING FROM HOME
I'm writing this from my sofa, in the midst of our global pandemic before we're all potentially confined to our homes. As someone who regularly works from the kitchen table, I started thinking about how disciplined you've got to be without the structure of an office to define your day and how that we're potentially going to be revealing our homes to all our colleagues via laptops. So here's a few top tips for making it work for you so nail your workload and don't get Steve from Accounts gossiping about your old cushions.
1. Get dressed. Yes it's tempting to lounge around in your pyjamas shovelling biscuits in your face but it's not productive and you never know when someone is going to want to chat. Getting dressed starts your day and makes you feel ready. If you like the allure of lounging around, at least keep your top half ready for action.
2. Make sure you're sitting comfortably. Let's face it non of us have the ergonomic chair we're used to sitting at in the office. Even if you're at the kitchen table prop your back up with a cushion. It really helps with your posture and you can use it to stop your bum going numb!
3. Write a to do list. I'm at my most productive first thing in the morning so will bang through tasks I don't want to do and move onto the nicer stuff as the day goes ion. Sometimes I write a few things I've nearly completed so I can tick them off quickly for a mental boost!
4. Get a wash on. The sound of the washing machine is quite comforting and if the washing machine's being productive you will be as well. And you can hang it out when you need to stand up and shake your legs.
5. Place some fresh or faux flowers where you can see them. I like to have something pretty to stare at when I'm thinking and they'll also look nice in the background when you have to face time!
6. Buy some decent coffee. You'll miss your usual flat white so making yourself a lovely cup of coffee in your favourite mug can be your new ritual. You'd be surprised how you forget to drink when you're at home all day without nobody offering to make you one
7. Stay fresh. Ok this isn't so easy if we're all on lock down but open a window, eat your lunch in the sunshine or stimulate your senses with a gorgeous fragrance and burn a candle to clear your mind.
8. Keep warm. It's easy to get cold when you're not moving around and you become unproductive if you get too chilly. I like to keep a throw handy to put over my knees which I can shrug off if I get too cosy.
9. Be clear about your working hours. It's really tempting to work long after you normally would but use the time you'd save on your commute to get organised around the house. Empty that drawer that's been nagging you. Cook a fantastic supper. Do some meal prep for the week to stop you snacking all day or just mix yourself a beautiful cocktail to celebrate your endeavours with after work drinks.